Saturday, December 15, 2012

Vegan Reindeer (Rudolph) Cupcakes!



Ever since I discovered that Greens' moist vanilla cake mix is vegan (I confirmed this with the company) I have been finding it hard to bother making my own vanilla cake, they only cost $2 and all I do is add 2/3 cup of soy milk and as much melted nuttelex as I need to make it a cake batter consistency, you could put 'no egg' in but I just don't bother and they work out fine.

With us being only 11 days out from xmas I decided to do some pre-christmas baking, partly cause I was bored and partly cause I wanted to test run some recipes before my work secret santa afternoon tea on x-mas eve.

I used two packets of Greens' and made 16 quite large cup-cakes ( I added some cinnamon and ground ginger to the batter to make it seem more christmassy). Most people have a plain vanilla cake recipe so I'm not going to put one up, you can find a million on the internet, so just use what ever cake you like to make the cup cakes, and allow them to cool completely.


To decorate.

1 packet slivered almonds
1 packet red glace cherries
1 packet pretzels
1/4 block vegan dark chocolate melted
handful vegan choc chips (I used the brown ones out of a pack of rainbow choc chips)
a few tsp soy milk

To ice my cupcakes I used the icing packets that came with the cake mix and mixed through a few teaspoons of soymilk  and my melted chocolate until I got my icing to a good consistency. It came out really well and looks similar to a ganche (nice and shiny).

I cut 8 pretzels and  8 cherries in half  to give me enough noses and antlers for my reindeer and then iced my cupcakes with my chocolate icing.
 Push each pretzel half into the cupcake firmly until it stays upright (I just played around until I found a position I thought looked good).
Place two slivered almonds on for eyes and your half cherry for a nose.
I then dipped by choc chips in a little left over icing and used this to stick them to my slivered almonds to make little pupils.
They come out really cute, and although I am currently to full to eat them from licking about a kg of icing off my fingers I have been told they're delicious.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment