Friday, December 14, 2012

Mexican Breakfast Tagine


Ok, so it's been a while, but I've had a busy year and finally have six days off, so I decided it's time to start putting up the myriad of things I've been cooking and not posting.

This is actually what I had for breakfast this morning so why not start there ( I also had it for lunch, and then dinner, that is how good it is).

MEXICAN BREAKFAST TAGINE


If you don't own a tagine i'm sure any ceramic baking dish (stove top safe) will work. If you don't know what a tagine is it's a north african ceramic cooking pot that looks like this.


My house mate owns an Emile Henry Tagine pretty much identical to the one above and I have to say it is amazing and I love it and if she ever moves out I'm stealing it. Also the cinnamon quill in the recipe is a must! It will not be the same without it, trust me it's worth putting one in!

What you'll need:

Two small brown onions - chopped
Two large cloved garlic
Two fresh green chillies
One bunch coriander
One large tin of 5 bean mix (drained)
One tin of cherry tomatoes (I used russo brand)
One cinnamon quill  
One tsp of cumin
One lime
One tsp of liquid smoke
Half a bag small mushrooms (stalks removed)
I also had some sundried tomato pasta sauce which I threw in about 300ml but a few teaspoons of tomato paste would probably suffice.

What to do:

Place your tagine on stovetop on a medium heat, add olive oil to coat and fry chopped onion for a few minutes until translucent. 
While the onion is frying chop your garlic, chillies and a handful of coriander leaves together. Add these to onion mixture along with your cumin and a cinnamon quill and fry for another few minutes until fragrant, stirring occasionally. 
Once garlic is beginning to cook, add beans, tomatoes and pasta sauce (or tomato paste) and mix well. Add the juice of half a lime and the liquid smoke and mix through.
Once this mixture is bubbling add your mushrooms, place them evenly spaced around the dish, cup side up, and sprinkle with some more coriander.

This is actually a photo of a different tagine I cooked with large mushrooms but it's just to give you an idea of how to place them.
Place lid on tagine, turn heat to low and allow to simmer on the stovetop for atleast 45 minutes ( I think mine was more like an hour).
Stir and Serve!
I sprinkled mine with more coriander (I really like coriander) and some chopped shallots. I served it on toasted sourdough with lime wedges, coriander and more freshly chopped green chillies!


                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment